.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

'I take The Bible everywhere with me'

Manchester United's club-record signing, Dimitar Berbatov, has revealed a previously unknown side to his character and one that may surprise a few people as well.





Berbatov, 27, who joined the Premier League and European champions for £30.75 million on transfer deadline day, dislikes swearing in all walks of life, as befits someone who describes himself as "religious" and who "takes The Bible everywhere with me".

All of which could make for some interesting times ahead, especially if the Bulgaria international finds himself confronted by his manager Sir Alex Ferguson's now infamous 'hairdryer', possibly starting with his United debut at, of all places, Anfield in the Premier League this Saturday lunch-time.

"I've done many stupid things because of my stubbornness, only because I didn't want to listen to my parents' advice," Berbatov told the Sun.

"And then it always turned out that they were right. My father always told me not to be swell-headed. He repeated that so often that it still helps me.

"When I realise I give myself airs, the red light in my head flashes. Many times I was ashamed because of some of the things I had done. I have paraded with the fact that I'm Dimitar Berbatov. Then I always heard my dad's voice in my head.

"Besides, I am religious and I take The Bible everywhere with me. There are many good pieces of advice for those like me in The Bible."

As for the thorny issue of swearing, a common, albeit unwanted, feature no doubt on the football field these days, the moody forward is insistent that he could never bring himself to curse at another opponent, unlike his likely strike partner at Old Trafford, Wayne Rooney, one can imagine.

"This is a matter of good upbringing. I don't swear in my daily life. My every second words are not da mu eba maikata (**** your mother)," he said.

"I try to do everything with style – not only in football. If I manage to give any positive examples for young people, then that is great.

"To be honest, sometimes I lose my temper when I am on the pitch. I even shout at my team-mates too much and then they are a bit angry. But this is who I am.

"I often tell them: 'Dudes, no problem, you can shout at me if there is something! I won't be angry. When the game is over, it's over.'

"But some of them take it to heart and are angry with me. They don't realise this is the way I release the stress."

Meanwhile, one of those team-mates, Carlos Tevez, has said that his sending-off in Argentina's World Cup qualifier with Paraguay on Saturday night was the worst moment of his career to date.

United striker Tevez was sent off for the second time in his last three internationals in Buenos Aires following a reckless two-footed lunge that resulted in a straight red card, leaving the Argentinean to reveal: "I haven't slept for two nights. What happened is very ugly. It's the unhappiest moment of my career. I can't let this happen again."