.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Thursday, September 11, 2008

I hope to be as successful with West Ham as I was with Chelsea, says new Hammers boss Gianfranco Zola

Gianfranco Zola has promised to give the West Ham squad the full benefit of his 20 years in football after being named as the club's new manager.

Italy and Chelsea legend Zola has agreed a three-year deal at Upton Park, replacing Alan Curbishley, who resigned earlier this month in disagreement with the Hammers' management structure.

Zola said: "I'm delighted to be here. It is a great honour for me to be involved in such an important job.






'I can promise to do my best to make good for this club. The club has got tradition and I am just here to help develop the team and to develop the players.

'That is my duty and I will do it with all of myself. 'I will give to these players all of my experience and all of my knowledge - I am here to be somebody good for them.

'That is my aim and I will do everything I can to succeed in this.' Zola's previous coaching role was with the Italy Under-21 side and although he admits his managerial CV in thin, he is confident in his abilities.




'I know I am not the most experienced manager around but I have ideas, I have been in football for 20 years.

'I know what we're talking about and I will certainly give something to this club; whether it is enough or not we will see. But I have a lot of knowledge of the game and the players will help me with this.'

Zola said he hoped his second stint in English football will be as successful as the seven he spent as a player with Chelsea.